Deputy Head, Family & Divorce Practice Group
Dorothy Tan is a Senior Associate Director in PKWA Law, and Deputy Head of the Family Law Department.
She was listed in the “Top 100 Women in Litigation” by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific in 2021. The awards focus on the leading female litigators who have earned their place by participating in the most impactful litigation matters in recent history, as well as by earning the hard-won respect of their peers and clients as top players in their respective fields.
Dorothy has also been listed in the Doyles Guide for Leading Family & Divorce lawyers in Singapore. She is recognised as one of Asia’s top young lawyers in Asian Legal Business 2016 listing of “40 under 40 – Asia’s Brightest Young Legal Minds”. She has been named by the Singapore Business Review as one of Singapore’s Top 20 ‘Most Influential Lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016’.
Dorothy has won two significant Court of Appeal cases, including winning 75% of matrimonial assets worth $13.6m (up from 25%). The swing from 25% to 75% is arguably one of the highest successful appeal cases in Singapore.
What clients say about Dorothy
Awards & Recognition
Media & Publications
In my hour of need, I was recommended to PKWA. Dorothy Tan LISTENED to my case and worked tirelessly over the holidays and weekends to meet impossible deadlines. A very upsetting and stressful time, but I will be forever grateful as Dorothy believed in my case and sought a fair and just resolution against insurmountable odds. At every juncture, Dorothy provided realistic, honest assessments and I proceeded based on her recommendations. If Dorothy and her team decide to champion your cause, you should consider yourself very fortunate.
I wish to convey my appreciation to Dorothy and her team Ing Yee and Firdaus who represented me in my divorce. I have received excellent legal representation and professionalism in every aspect of the process. Dorothy took the time to listen to all my concerns and responded with clear, concise notes outlining all the different courses of action including the positives and negatives with each choice. I felt greatly assured by this outstanding team of professionals. I am grateful to have Dorothy and her team who handled this case with what I would consider perfection, dedication and utmost competence. It was a great pleasure working with this wonderful team.
All of you show me that genuine great lawyers exist. Many more people out there who deserve justice ought to know you.
I have no hesitation in recommending PKWA and Dorothy to anyone looking for competent, knowledgeable, sympathetic, and efficient representation.
Bjorn Vang Jansen
- Dorothy has won two divorce cases at the Court of Appeal as lead counsel, including one when she was 25 years old. The cases are:
- Twiss, Christopher James Hans v Twiss, Yvonne Prendergast  SGCA 52 [read more]. In 2015, Dorothy became one of the youngest lawyers at age 25 to lead a team and to win at the Singapore Court of Appeal. The client selected her to take over his matter and to appeal to the Court of Appeal on the division of matrimonial assets. Dorothy succeeded in reversing the decision in favour of her client. The case of Twiss, Christopher James Hans v Twiss, Yvonne Prendergast  SGCA 52 was later cited and followed in subsequent cases involving division of matrimonial assets: Zhou Lijie v Wang Chengxiang  SGHC 316; TIG v TIH  SGHCF 12; TME v TMF  SGHCF 6 ; THL v THM  SGHCF 11 ; TNL v TNK  SGCA 15 and UBD v UBE  SGHCF 14.
- TQU v TQT  SGCA 08 [read more]. The Court of Appeal had described this case as “complicated”, “challenging” and “highly unusual”. The judgment was 60 pages long. After obtaining 25% in matrimonial assets in the High Court, the ex-husband engaged Dorothy to take over his matter and to appeal to the Court of Appeal. Dorothy and her team analysed, drafted and filed the Appeal papers, with the client appearing at the hearing himself. In a 60 page decision, the Court of Appeal increased the husband’s share to 75% of S$13.6 million in matrimonial assets, up from 25%. The swing in percentage from 25% to 75% to the husband is arguably one of the biggest in appeal cases.
- Dorothy is listed in the “Top 100 Women in Litigation” by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2021. Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific’s Top 100 Women in Litigation focuses on the leading female litigators who have earned their place by participating in the most impactful litigation matters in recent history, as well as by earning the hard-won respect of their peers and clients as top players in their respective fields. She is described as a “Litigation Star in family and matrimonial law in Asia-Pacific.”
- Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific – Dorothy is recognised as a “Litigation Star” in family law by Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2021. Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific is a leading guide to the region’s leading litigation firms and lawyers. The guide provides law firm and lawyer rankings based on extensive interviews with litigators, dispute resolution specialists and their clients as well as analysis of the market’s most important cases and firm development.
- Asian Legal Business – Dorothy is recognised as one of Asia’s top young lawyers in Asian Legal Business 2016 listing of “40 under 40 – Asia’s Brightest Young Legal Minds”. The coveted list showcases the top 40 outstanding young lawyers in Asia under the age of 40, based on their deals and disputes handled, as well as accolades from peers and clients.
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Family & Divorce Lawyers in Singapore – Dorothy is ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide of Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Lawyers in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2021.
- ALB SE Asia Law Awards – Dorothy is shortlisted for “Woman Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2018. She was selected by an independent panel of 30 legal experts and is the only family lawyer in the shortlist.
- Singapore Business Review: Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers under 40 – Dorothy is named as one of “Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers under 40” by the Singapore Business Review in 2016. She was selected from a list of almost a hundred nominees based on thought leadership, influence, and success.
- Asian Legal Business Law Awards – Dorothy is nominated for “Young Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2017.
- Dorothy is a contributor/author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.