Lim Chong Boon
Head of Family Law & Dispute Resolution
Lim Chong Boon is Head of Family Law at PKWA Law, one of the most established family law practices in Singapore.
Chong Boon’s expertise has earned him recognition as one of Singapore’s leading family and divorce lawyers by leading legal publications such as Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific and Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Lawyers.
Having commenced his career at Allen & Gledhill, Lim Chong Boon had the privilege of working closely with some of Singapore’s finest legal minds. Over the course of more than 25 years, he has honed his skills in various practice areas, including family and divorce law, probate, commercial litigation, company law, construction litigation, corporate debt recovery, directors and shareholders’ disputes, employment law, intellectual property, immigration matters, insolvency, landlord-tenant disputes, and property disputes.
Chong Boon and his team have garnered numerous accolades. Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific has consistently recognized him as a Litigation Star for family law in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. Doyles Guide has also ranked him as a Leading Family and Singapore Divorce Lawyer for several consecutive years in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Additionally, Global Law Experts commends his knowledge and experience in family and civil law matters, describing him as a practical, streetwise, and empathetic attorney who places a strong emphasis on mediation while remaining ready to advocate aggressively in court.
PKWA Law’s Family Law Group, under Lim Chong Boon’s leadership, has been consistently lauded as one of the top family law practices in the region. Their excellence has been recognized by The Straits Times, which ranked PKWA Law as one of “Singapore’s Best Law Firms” for family law. The firm’s achievements also include significant successes in Court of Appeal decisions on the division of matrimonial assets, achieving remarkable results for their clients.
Apart from his legal expertise, Lim Chong Boon is an active member of various legal organizations, including the Law Society of Singapore and the Singapore Academy of Law. He has served on the Council of the Law Society of Singapore and the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society, displaying his commitment to professional development and the legal community.
Chong Boon is the co-author of the divorce book “Divorce Done Right: A Guide to Family Law in Singapore” published in 2021.
Media outlets have sought Lim Chong Boon’s insightful opinions on family law matters, reflecting his influence and expertise in the field.
Chong Boon’s practice areas include family and divorce law, probate, commercial litigation, company law, construction litigation, corporate debt recovery, directors and shareholders’ disputes, employment law, intellectual property, immigration matters, insolvency, landlord-tenant disputes, and property disputes.
Awards and Accolades
Chong Boon is named a Litigation Star for family law by Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific editions in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. The respected publisher is the definitive guide on the leading litigation lawyers internationally and in the region. Benchmark Litigation recognizes “litigation stars” in each country as individuals who were recommended consistently as reputable and highly effective litigators by their clients and peers.
Chong Boon is also ranked by Dolyes Guide to Leading Singapore Family Lawyers as a Leading Family and Singapore Divorce Lawyer in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.
Chong Boon is also recommended by Global Law Experts 2015 edition as someone who “is valued by clients in civil and family law matters for his knowledge and experience in the law” and for being “practical and streetwise”. Global Law Experts describe him as “a good listener”, able to “cut through the issues quickly”. In addition, he is known “to favour mediation over litigation in divorce matters, but will litigate aggressively in court”.
The Family Law Group at PKWA Law has been consistently recognised as one of the top family law practices in the region. The list of accolades includes:
- The Straits Times ranks PKWA Law as one of “Singapore’s Best Law Firms” for family law in 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- PKWA law has won two important Court of Appeal decisions on the issue of division of matrimonial assets, including one described by the judges as “complicated,” “challenging” and “highly unusual” in which our client won 75% of $13.6 million in matrimonial assets, up from 25%. The swing in matrimonial assets from 25% to 75% is arguably one of the highest in divorce cases in Singapore.
- PKWA Law is ranked as one of the leading Family Law Firms in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific.
- Lim Chong Boon is ranked by Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 as a Dispute Resolution Star.
- Lim Chong Boon is ranked by his peers as a “Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer” in Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Lawyers in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- Dorothy Tan is listed in the “Top 100 Women in Litigation” in Asia-Pacific by Benchmark Litigation 2021 and 2022. She is among several Singapore female lawyers who are recognised as leading litigators in the Asia Pacific. Dorothy is recognised as a leading lawyer in family and matrimonial law.
- Recognised as one of the leading Family Law Firms in Singapore by Asian Legal Business at the annual ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- Doyles Guide – PKWA Law is ranked as a leading family law firm. Lim Chong Boon is ranked as a leading family lawyer in Singapore.
- PKWA Law is ranked as a “Leading Family and Divorce Law Firm in Singapore” in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 by Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Lawyers.
- Doyles Guide of Leading Singapore Family Lawyers 2016 – Lim Chong Boon is ranked as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyers in Singapore. PKWA Law is also ranked as a recommended Leading Family Law Firm.
- Charlene Nah is named one of Family Law Rising Stars 2022 and 2023 by Doyles Guide.
- PKWA’s family lawyers Dorothy Tan and Low Jin Liang are named Singapore’s “Most Influential Lawyers Under 40” by Singapore Business Review 2016.
- Dorothy is shortlisted for “Woman Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2018. She was selected by an independent panel of 30 legal experts and is the only family lawyer on the shortlist.
- Dorothy Tan is named one of Asia’s top young lawyers by Asian Legal Business 2016.
- Dorothy Tan is nominated for “Young Lawyer of the Year” at the SE Asia Law Awards 2017.
- Global Law Experts 2015 Edition — Lim Chong Boon is a recommended lawyer in “Family and Civil Law”.
- Low Jin Liang is included in the Asian Legal Business listing of Singapore Rising Stars 2022.
Commercial & Civil Cases
Lim Chong Boon has an extensive track record of handling high-profile cases involving substantial claims in both commercial and civil matters. Some notable instances include:
- Leading complex litigation in the Singapore High Court for one of the largest corporate bond defaults in emerging markets history concerning Asia Paper and Pulp. The claim, valued at US$300 million, involved legal experts from the US and Indonesia and necessitated decisions from the Supreme Court of the State of New York and the Supreme Court of Indonesia (OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and Others v Pt Indah Kiat Pulp & Paper Corporation and Another  SGHC 73).
- Providing counsel to the leading global operator of water services on employment matters and general corporate advice for its Asia Pacific office.
- Representing a government statutory board in obtaining urgent interlocutory injunctions against occupiers for causing nuisance and breaching contracts.
- Acting on behalf of Jurong Town Corporation in property disputes and securing possession of property from errant tenants.
- Defending all 8 defendants in the High Court and Court of Appeal successfully, in a multi-cause of action claim amounting to US$27 million. The claim involved allegations of breach of contract, breach of agency, and conspiracy to defraud (Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd v Howell Universal Pte Ltd and Others  SGHC 33).
- Representing Propnex, one of Singapore’s largest property agency companies, in legal action against former employees and agents for staff poaching and breach of contract.
- Defending former students against a defamation suit brought by a trainer.
- Acting for a US-listed multinational corporation in litigation related to the construction of a wafer fab plant in Singapore.
- Representing DBS Bank in the recovery of credit card and housing loans.
- Successfully seeking bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Act for two directors of TT International Ltd, a company listed on the Main Board of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited. This strategic move allowed the directors to restructure personal liabilities of approximately $51 million arising from corporate guarantees they had executed in connection with the company’s debts.
- Handling a dispute between a major international hotel chain and a Singapore landlord.
- Representing a case in the Singapore High Court involving an international construction and engineering company regarding the construction of a plant. This case was notable for being one of the first in Singapore to involve the electronic discovery of documents stored in servers.
Some of Chong Boon’s reported cases include Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd vs Howell Universal Pte Ltd & others  2 SLR 349;  SGHC 33 and OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and others vs PT Indah Kiat Pulp and Paper Corporation  SGHC 73
Family Law Cases
- Successfully representing a mother in a bitter custody battle over her two children. The High Court ruled in favor of his client, granting her care and control of the children. The court also issued an order for the father to hand over the children within 7 days, with the threat of facing contempt action if he failed to comply. This highly contested case spanned three years and involved extensive documentation of over 2,000 pages.
- Providing representation for a prominent and wealthy Singapore businessman in his divorce proceedings and related ancillary matters.
- Acting on behalf of a prominent senior Singapore lawyer in a highly contentious divorce case, which encompassed complex issues concerning the division of assets and custody arrangements for the children.
- Representing the CEO of a listed company in his divorce proceedings and related ancillary issues.
- Acting for a wife seeking to recover half of her ex-husband’s lottery win in the context of divorce proceedings.
- Handling pre-nuptial agreements for high net-worth clients, ensuring their interests and assets are protected before marriage.
Appointments & Memberships
- Chong Boon was on the Council of the Law Society of Singapore for 2 terms (1993 to 1996).
- Appointed by the Chief Justice to the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore.
- Past committee member of the Civil Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Past Chairman of Sports Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Appointed as an Assigned lawyer with the Legal Aid Bureau, Ministry of Law
- Past Tutor, Practice Law Course of the Board of Legal Education – Family Law, Civil Procedure, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (AiADR)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of La
Chong Boon has been interviewed by the media for his views on family law, including:
- Breakups soon after marriage at 20-year high – Straits Times.
- More divorcees visiting kids under supervision – Straits Times.
- More break-ups among less-educated – Straits Times.
- Genuine interest needed to last in the community – Straits Times.
- Behind closed doors – Rape and marriage in Singapore – Channel News Asia.
- When parents have different discipline styles – Young Parents.
- Dealing with irreconcilable differences – Singapore Business Review.
- Singaporeans are cheating with their colleagues; Counsellors see more extra-marital affairs – Straits Times.
- Family Justice Courts launch a cheaper and faster way for users to file applications – Straits Times.
What clients say
Awards & Recognition
Media & Publications
I approached PKWA Law for a family matter and had my claim settled in a short period of time. Mr Lim and his team of lawyers and support staff were very helpful. All my queries were answered quickly and promptly.
I could not have asked for a better lawyer than Mr Lim and PKWA Law representing me in my divorce. He and his staff takes the time to explain the details of the process and my entitlement in a way I understand easily. The fees are very clear and reasonable.
Mr Lim and his team were very professional and helped me a lot during probate. Fees are very reasonable and agreed. Once again, I thank them for their excellent service.
Mr Lim and team have been great in helping me. His team especially Jessica and Corinne are very polite and very efficient in updating my case. Thank you to PKWA Law.
Mr Lim is responsive and knowledgeable when I had a consultation on probate with him. The fees are fixed and clear. Thank you so much.
Dear Mr Lim, I truly appreciate your help. My experience with you and your team was the best of all the consults I had with the law firms. The divorce process was smooth, quick and efficient. You came highly referred by a close friend, and I am glad I picked your law firm. Thanks to Jessica too.
- Lim Chong Boon is again recognized by Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family Lawyers as a Leading Family & Divorce lawyer in Singapore in 2023.
- PKWA Law is named by Doyles as one of the top 5 leading Family & Divorce law firms in Singapore in 2023. The 2023 listing of Dolyes Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Lawyers details solicitors practising within the areas of family, divorce and matrimonial law matters in the Singapore legal market who have been identified by their peers for their expertise and abilities. PKWA Law was also ranked in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Mr Lim Chong Boon is recognised by Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific as a Dispute Resolution Star in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- PKWA Law is named as one of “Singapore’s Best Law Firms” for family law by the Straits Times in 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- PKWA Law is named a “Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Law Firm” in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 by Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Law Firms.
- PKWA shortlisted for “Matrimonial & Family Law Firm of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the prestigious ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Awarded “Best Family Law Firm” by Acquisition International 2015 Legal Awards.
- Awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year” by Global Law Experts 2017.
- Awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year in Singapore 2016” by Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award.
- Lim Chong Boon is ranked as a “Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer” in Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Lawyers in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- Lim Chong Boon named as a recommended “Family and Civil lawyer” by Global Law Experts 2015.
- Chong Boon is recognised by the prestigious Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific as a Dispute Resolution Star in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Chong Boon is the co-author of the divorce book "Divorce Done Right: A Guide to Family Law in Singapore" published in 2021.
- Contributor / author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.